October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, a time that’s near and dear to our hearts here at Kaia Earth. Our fearless founder beat her battle with breast cancer in 2011 , and we feel it’s our duty to warn our dedicated customers ways to lower your risk of the terrible disease that affects 1 in 8 women in the United States.
There have been many studies popping up linking chemicals we use on a daily basis with breast cancer. Natural News covered a study that found a list of potential chemicals with breast carcinogens, including: benzene and butadiene (found in vehicle exhaust, tobacco smoke, lawn equipment and charred food); flame retardants; hormone replacement therapy drugs; some nonstick cookware and stain-resistant fabrics; and chemicals used to filter drinking water.
There are many ways to reduce your risk of breast cancer, but here are some suggestions based on the study’s findings:
- Use a solid carbon block filter to disinfect your drinking water.
- Use a ventilation fan while cooking to reduce smoke inhalation, as well as reducing your consumption of charred foods.
- Reduce your exposure to fuel flames by not idling your vehicle.
- Avoiding fabrics, furniture and rugs marketed as stain-resistant.
- Not having furniture treated with flame retardants and is free of polyurethane fame.
- Reduce the accumulation of chemicals in your home by removing shoes at the door.
Parabens and phthalates, commonly found in cosmetics and self-care products, are other everyday chemicals that have a strong link to breast cancer. It’s critical to make sure your products—whether it’s makeup, skin care, lotion, body wash, hair care—are labeled paraben-free and phthalate-free.
At Kaia Earth, we have consciously designed our products to be entirely non-toxic. Both our Intensive Botanical Night Cream and Pure Moisturizer Serum are paraben and phthalate-free! In addition to avoiding these harmful chemicals, our products are free of mineral oils, artificial preservatives, colors and fragrances.
What goes on your skin seeps into your body, so make sure you’re fully aware of the ingredients in your skin, body and hair care products. If you’re looking for a cleaner, safer skin care line, Kaia Earth is here for you!